Pennsylvania Society News Archive
Spring 2012 Bulletin
On January 30, 2012, The Pennsylvania Society inducted new officers for 2012 through 2014 at their 115th Annual Meeting held at the historic Corinthian Yacht Club on the banks of the Delaware River below Philadelphia. Activities planned for the year ahead include a visit to Valley Forge and the Freedoms Chapel located in the historic Park.
PA Officers T. Kellogg, Esq., Sec/States Attorney; P. Adams, Gov/Historian; R. Van Gulick , Deputy Gov. (standing) R. Chappell, Treas; A. Flint, Registrar; D. Rawson, Esq., States Attorney/Genealogist; H. Folger, Coun; P. Hill, Past Gov/Historian/Coun General.
Spring 2010 Bulletin
The Pennsylvania Society held its 113th Annual Meeting at the historic Corinthian Yacht Club on the banks of the Delaware River below Philadelphia in January. The Club is on the site of a sacred Lenni Lenape burial ground; the first Swedish landing/settlement in America and home to a number of “America’s Cup” Race winners.
Spring 2009 Bulletin
Left to right: David Rawson Esq., Richard Chappell, Peter Adams, Richard Dana Smith, Sr., Thomas KeRllogg,
William Dutcher, Robert Van Gulick, Peter Hill
On Monday, February 9th Stetson Middle School rededicated their Fredom Shrine wall with a ceremony
a host of local
dignitaries, service clubs and West Chester Area School District officials.
A distinguished guest at the ceremony was the
Pennsylvania Society Governor, Richard Dana Smith, Sr., Governor of the Pennsylvania Society of the Founders and
Patriots of America.
Governor Smith was quoted saying “This
celebration of America coincides with a momentous time when young Americans are enthusiastically taking an interest in the
political process and in American history”.
Additional speakers included: Senator Andrew Dinniman and two House of Representative members - Barbara M. Smith and Tom
Killion. Also featured were members of the West Chester Exchange Club, members of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 0409, the school principal LeRoy Whitehead, Student Council representatives, teachers and parents.
Stetson Middle School is a member of the West Chester Area School District of Pennsylvania and serves over 900 students in grades six through eight. The West Chester Exchange Club is a volunteer group of men and women who provide programs of charitable work
throughout the community.
Governor Richard Dana Smith, SR., featured guest at the Pennsylvania Stetson Middle School Rededication Ceremony.
Also in the Pennsylvania society, on February 8, 2009, the Society held its annual meeting –
including twenty members and guests,
to celebrate and elect the Society’s officers for the coming year. The meeting was held at the Corinthian Yacht Club in Essington, PA. This is one of the most famous Yacht Clubs in America. It is located on the Delaware River, one mile from Philadelphia. The Yacht Club’s shores -
witnessed the largest artillery bombardment during the entire
Revolutionary War - that being the five week battle during October and November of 1776 at Fort Mifflin. It was entirely due to the brave heroic efforts of 80 men at Fort Mifflin on the Delaware – who held this fort until the river became frozen – thereby preventing General Howe from receiving needed supplies which would have been used to then destroy George Washington’s Army.
General Howe was then in complete command of Philadelphia. He was expecting fresh
supplies of guns, bullets, powder and
provisions to re-equip his men since he fully
intended to completely destroy George
Washington’s entire Continental Army that fall, outside of Philadelphia. The fact is that there were more than 100 British ships - full of fresh
provisions - trying to gain access to Philadelphia to provide the needed supplies to the British Army. Thankfully, the Patriots at Fort Mifflin held their ground, preventing the British supplies from
reaching General Howe’s Army in
Philadelphia. As we know, because General Howe did not receive these necessary supplies in time, he decided to stay in Philadelphia during that very cold winter - as our patriots tried to survive at Valley Forge.
Today, a visitor to the Corinthian Yacht Club can see Fort Mifflin in the distance. Also today, a visitor to the famous Fort Mifflin can see the name of John Adams, my distant cousin and second President of the United States, inscribed in the Marble Keystone –
strategically located at the main entrance arch of Fort Mifflin. This is because, after the war was won, John Adams
instructed Congress to
rebuild Fort Mifflin, as it had been completely
destroyed by the British during the October to
bombardment. John Adams then believed, as history would bear witness, that Fort Mifflin would hold
future strategic importance for our young and growing country.
Fall Bulletin 2008
The Pennsylvania society held a grand parade on
September 3, 2008 to celebrate their many
contributions to the city of Philadelphia.
The associates of the
Pennsylvania Society of the Order of the Founders and Patriots of America publicly celebrated with a grand parade and several distinguished governmental speakers on September 3, 2008 at Philadelphia. A large crowd assembled to remember and reflect upon the Pennsylvania Society’s beautiful
contribution to the City of Philadelphia,
100-years ago, when a bronze memorial plaque was commissioned and installed on the wall of Philadelphia’s beautiful governmental building known as City Hall.
Our Pennsylvania Society’s Governor, Richard Dana Smith, Sr., opened the ceremony by
reminding the audience that one-hundred years ago in 1908, the Pennsylvania Society
assembled in the office of the Mayor and preceded by the flags and colors of the Order, marched to this very court yard where the beautiful bronze memorial plaque was erected.
Governor Smith recalled that at that original
ceremony was the Hon. John Reyburn,
Mayor of Philadelphia; Viscomte de Chambrun, a great-grandson of the Marquis de Lafayette and Charge d’Affairs of the French Embassy at Washington, Admirals Pendelton and Arnold.
Governor Richard Dana Smith, Sr. stated that “history tells us during September, 1781, Comte de Rochambeau, Commander in Chief of the French Army in America, encamped at this very spot with his Army of six-thousand soldiers on their way to Yorktown.” Yorktown was to
become the final battle of the American
Revolutionary War where the French assisted our Commander in Chief, General Washington, and the Continental Army in capturing British General Cornwallis.
Governor Smith mentioned that the
celebration also sheds light on the 225-year
anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Paris. He stated that this Treaty was a direct result of General Washington’s Continental Army, aided by the French forces in America, claiming victory over British General Cornwallis at the Battle of Yorktown that successfully ended the American Revolution.
Remarks provided by United States Senator Arlen Specter, Lieutenant Governor of
Pennsylvania Catherine Baker Knoll, Senator John C. Rafferty, Jr. and Senator Andrew E. Dinniman highlighted the day as our Society’s Governor Richard Dana Smith, Sr. and his many loyal Associates were thanked and
congratulated for remembering this important historical event. The Pennsylvania Society our Order by remaining steadfast in promoting patriotism and maintaining a respect for the character and heroism of the Founders and Patriots of America.
Spring Bulletin 2008
The Pennsylvania Society Celebrates
Annual Meeting and discusses
David W. Rawson, our Society’s Immediate
Past Governor, recently hosted the
Pennsylvania Society’s officers, members
and guests at the Radnor Hunt Club in
Berwyn. Berwyn is not far from
Philadelphia, and Past Governor Rawson
reminded the attendees that William Penn
had originally established five squares
when he founded Philadelphia. Penn called
one of these squares, “Center Square”.
Today, Center Square is home to
Philadelphia’s city government and in its
courtyard is a bronze monument that was
commissioned and installed 100 years ago,
in 1908, by our Pennsylvania Society.
Governor Richard D. Smith, Sr. stated that
the 1908 bronze monument serves as a
memorial of the encampment on that site
in 1781 by the French Allies under Comte
de Rochambeau. During September, 1781,
Comte de Rochambeau, Commander in
Chief of the French army in America,
encamped at “Center Square” with his
army of six thousand soldiers on their way
to Yorktown. As we know, Yorktown was
to become the final battle of the American
Revolutionary War where the French
assisted our Commander-in-chief, General
Washington, in capturing Cornwallis.
Governor Smith remarked how our
Order’s insignia, prominent on the face of
the monument, reminds us today of that
date in 1908 when the Pennsylvania
Society assembled in the office of the
Mayor and preceded by the flags and
colors of the Order, marched to the court
yard where the monument was erected. At
the 1908 ceremony was the Hon. John
Reyburn, Mayor of Philadelphia; Viscomte
de Chambrun, a great-grandson of the
Marquis de Lafayette and Charge d’Affairs
of the French Embassy at Washington,
Admirals Pendelton and Arnold.
Governor Richard D. Smith, Sr. then
unveiled our Society’s 1874 original
Charter. It has been professionally
preserved and excellently maintained.
We studied the names of the Founders
responsible for creating our Society over
133 years ago. We also discussed ways our
Society might celebrate the upcoming
100-year anniversary commemorating the
1908 unveiling of our Society’s most
important public monument in
Fall Bulletin 2007
Recently the officers of the Pennsylvania Society met in Philadelphia to enjoy the renowned world-class hospitality and exceptional food prepared by the oldest men’s dining club in America, The Philadelphia Club. The purpose of our visitation was an annual pilgrimage to inspect a bronze plaque affixed to the western wall of City Hall’s interior courtyard. Erected by our Order in September 1908, it memoralizes the encampment on this site in 1781 by the French Allies under Comte de Rochambeau.
We inspected the monument and studied our Order’s Insignia- prominent on the face of this rare and treasured bronze monument. As we recalled, in 1908 The Pennsylvania Society of our Order assembled in the office of the Mayor in City Hall and preceded by the flags and colors of the Order, marched to the Court Yard where the monument had been erected. In addition to the members of the Society, there were present also the Hon. John Reyburn, Mayor of Philadelphia, Viscomte de Chambrun, a great-grandson of the Marquis de Lafayette, and Charge d’Affairs of the French Embassy at Washington, Admirals Pendelton and Arnold and other naval officers.
We ended the day by discussing several ways the Pennsylvania Society of our Order might celebrate the upcoming 100-year anniversary - in September, 2008 - of the erection in Philadelphia of our Order’s most important Pennsylvania historic monument.
Pennsylvania OFPA group photo with Charter.